I am not an English teacher, and have no intention on ever being one. I know that my writing skills are not the best. I really do proof read, but I am sorry if there are mistakes. This blog is for fun... like a journal for my kids. I just let all you in.... take it or leave it! Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hurricane Irene

I have to blog about for my children that they have been through a hurricane, but really Carson has been through a Nor-Easter, worse than this Hurricane.  Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people were effected by this massive storm, I consider us lucky because we hardly had any signs of a "hurricane" in Virginia Beach.  Jamie and I planned to get hit really hard.  We stocked up on water, batteries, candles, made ice days in advance, propane, plenty of food to eat without power, etc.  Jamie lives for this stuff!  He loves "survival situations."  There was always the thought of leaving the area, but Jamie would NEVER leave HIS house and with me being 37 weeks pregnant, it just wasn't a good idea for our family to travel.  Even the doctor suggested that if we didn't feel safe in our home to go to one of the shelters in the area and not to leave.
Irene was around for a good 36 hours.  She brought a lot of wind and rain.  The storm started early Saturday morning with RAIN.... Lots and Lots of RAIN!  We ended up having a little stream in our street.... but by the middle of the storm, we had a little break.  Rain actually stopped for awhile and it was just wind.  We did loose power for 30 minutes in the morning, but we're relieved when they turned it back on!  We went outside for a little when the rain had stopped, just to say that we were "in a hurricane" and to take some pictures.  The worst part of the storm started after the eye pasted by us... the WIND was so much stronger!  We lost power for 2 and half hours at night.  I thought at that point that it was gone, no power for days.... could not believe when it came back on!!!
During Irene, we had a nice family day in our jammies!  We watched movies (our Directv Satellite hardly even lost signal at all!!!) sorted baseball cards, played games (Wii and Candyland), and just enjoyed being "stuck."  I tease and say that we had more damage from the "hurricane" that came through our living room than the one that came through outside our house!
 During the Storm
 Checking things out
 CHEESE!
 Tree down the street from us
 Our house after Irene
 Extent of Damage.... Jamie snapped it right back together
 Just a bunch of leaves and sticks in the backyard
 7 1/2 inches of RAIN!!! Crazy!
 I'm so bad.... BIG Damage down the road! haha!
 Pier at the beach didn't hold up... but the waves the day after weren't even that big???
My big belly hanging out! - 37 Weeks!
Little Video taken at 7:00pm - When the wind was really picking up!

No comments: